Wadworth, the regional pub operator and family brewer, celebrated the success of their best managed and tenanted pubs at its annual ‘Best of the Best Awards’, recognising 26 pubs.
The Best Tenanted Business Partners Award was given to multiple operator of two Wadworth pubs, Danny and Tara Adams. Danny and Tara run the Greyhound in Bromham, Chippenham and earlier this year took over the George in Sandy Lane. They transformed the George in Sandy Lane offering a daily carvery and specials menu creating a fantastic customer experience. They also received the award for Best Retail and Digital Marketing Pub of the Year.
Best managed house manager was awarded to Ray Turnbull of the Barton's Mill, Old Basing. This year the Barton’s Mill doubled in size with the addition of 12 bedrooms to this destination food and family venue and Ray has continued to build the business.
Another big winner of the night went to the head chef, Jake McBride of the Avon Causeway in Hurn who won Managed House Chef of the Year and had three of his dishes chosen to be served at the awards event.
Other winners included Chris Masters of the Hadleigh Bowling Green who won Best Managed House Food pub and Jacky Crowley of the Cock Inn, Warminster and Hannah and Ryan Coates of the Kings Arms, Melksham who were both recognised for their Beer and Cellar Quality. Two special recognition awards were presented by Chairman Charles Bartholomew to Derek and Brid Phelan of the Golden Lion, Winchester and Mark Gallimore of the Bull in Theale. Best Tenanted Food Pub went to Harwood and Jo Warrington who run the Trigger Pond in Bicester following two judging visits and a mystery visit to the site where they were recognised as the clear winner in this category.
Speaking after the ceremony, Chris Welham, CEO of Wadworth, commented: “The ‘Best of the Best Awards’ is a brilliant event where we can show our appreciation to our great pubs and the people who put their heart and soul into running them. We are very proud of having some of the best pubs in the west country and these awards gives us the perfect opportunity to join together with our managers, business partners and team members and recognise their hard work. Pubs just wouldn’t be the places they are without the fantastic people running them”.
The annual awards took place at The Bear Hotel’s Grand Ballroom in Devizes and saw a total of 26 accolades being awarded to the stand out managers, tenants, chefs, team members and pubs. Sponsors on the night included Wadworth 6X, Britvic, Heineken, Carlsberg, San Miguel, Birra Moretti, Weston’s Cider, Walter Rose and Sons, Chemisphere, Brakes and Essential Cuisine.
Full list of award winners:
Managed House Best Team Member:
• Winner: Nicola Giddings, George Inn, Lacock, Wiltshire
Managed House Best Chef:
• Winner: Jake McBride, Avon Causeway, Hurn
• Silver Award: Herve Le Corre, Barton's Mill, Old Basing
Tenanted Trade Pubs in Bloom:
• Elite Winner: Michael and Joanne Hehir, Blue Boar, Aldbourne
• New Entrant: Lawrence and Natalie Mills, Berkeley Arms, Tewkesbury
Tenanted Trade Best Beer & Cellar Quality:
• Winner: Jacky Crowley, Cock Inn, Warminster
Tenanted Trade Best Neighbourhood:
• Winner: Sybilla Pearce, Fighting Cocks, Gosport
Tenanted Trade Best Retail & Digital Marketing Pub:
• Winner: Tara & Danny Adams, Greyhound, Bromham and George, Sandy Lane
Managed House Best Marketing Pub:
• Winner: Jade and John Whitfield, Cleveland Bay, Chandlers Ford
• Silver Award: Steve Cooper, Humble Plumb, Bitterne
Tenanted Trade Best Customer Experience:
• Winner: Richard Baulu and Ms Virginia Long, Kings Arms, All Cannings
Managed House Best Turn Around Pub:
• Winner: Phill Butler and Freya Loveless, Green Dragon, Brook
• Winners: Derek and Brid Phelan, Golden Lion, Winchester and Mark Gallimore, Bull, Theale
Tenanted Trade Best Newcomer:
• Winner: Sylvi Giuliani, Borough Arms, Hungerford
Managed House Best Newcomer:
• Chris Roberts, Falkland Arms, Chipping Norton
• Silver Award: Adrian and Jacqui Bartels, The Bear, Devizes
Tenanted Trade Best Food Pub:
• New Entrant: Kaileigh & Guy Tasker, Langley Tap, Chippenham
• Winner: Harwood and Jo Warrington, Trigger Pond, Bicester
Managed House Best Food Pub:
• Winner: Chris Masters, Hadley Bowling Green, Droitwich
Silver Award: Richard Jennings, Pheasant Inn, Chippenham
Managed House Best Beer & Cellar Quality Manager:
• Winner: Hannah and Ryan Coates, Kings Arms, Melksham
Managed House Best Manager:
• Winner: Ray Turnbull, Bartons Mill Pub & Dining, Old Basing
• Silver Award: Miles Teece & Jayne Tilsley, Fox & Hounds, Theale
• Highly Commended: Matt Humphries, Three Crowns, Devizes
Tenanted Trade Best Business Partner:
• Winner: Danny and Tara Adams, Greyhound, Bromham and George, Sandy Lane
Notes to Editors
Wadworth is a regional pub operator and family brewer, with over 200 pubs across the South West of Britain. Founded by Henry A Wadworth, the business passed to his founding partner John Smith Bartholomew and is now in the fourth generation of management by the Bartholomew family. Wadworth has brewed beer at its Victorian brewery in Devizes, Wiltshire, since 1875, and is one of the few remaining family brewers to deliver to the local area using shire horses. The estate is split between tenanted and managed pubs and Wadworth works hard to ensure that its pubs offer a warm and welcoming atmosphere, excellent quality food and drink including its sought after brand 6X. For more information visit: www.wadworth.co.uk